Thursday, October 4, 2012

Being Healthier

Anyone that knows me knows that I didn't exactly grow up eating the healthiest foods. My dad did the best he could under our circumstances, taking care of two children and his ailing wife, but he definitely didn't do us any favors in teaching us about healthy living. Sure, we had to start the day with a healthy breakfast but for the rest of the day it was cafeteria meals (which aren't necessarily the best for you), and things like Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and Wendy's for dinner.

Andrew at only 5 months!

Over the last couple of years I have started to try to be healthier, and now I have been trying harder than ever for Andrew and Patrick. They deserve to grow up with a more balanced diet than I did. I have never bought a jar of baby food and I never plan on it. I have made all of their food and I know that they are better off for it.

Last night I had my monthly "Moms of Multiples" meeting, where a holistic health coach talked to us. I know change is hard, but a lot of what she said is important and I plan on starting to make even more changes to the way our family eats.

Patrick at 5 months just learning about solid foods :)

We are fortunate in that we live in an amazing area to be able to buy local, and get really fresh products and ingredients that haven't been processed to death or doused with chemicals, and I intend on beginning to take even greater advantage of it. I may even follow in my friend Kara's example and get our own chickens! We certainly have the space for it!

Change is hard, but I know that paying better attention to exactly what I am putting into my body is one of the most important ones I can make to do everything I can to be around my children as long as possible. I am just so blessed to have Andrew and Patrick as part of my life. They have made me change for the better in so many ways! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment